The StackOps distro comes with frequent updates of packages not only of Openstack Nova, but all the different packages in the system. Our community help us to keep up to date the distro and increases the quality of the product testing the distro and sending feedback to us. Enterprise users can benefit of this effort updating the distro in their deployments.
No, an update of the StackOps distro does not affect to running system: it will only affect to future deployments.
Yes, your customers can take advantage of security and bug updates made in the distro upgrading their existing deployments. Keep in mind that this process can only be performed by StackOps support or certified partners. An uncontrolled upgrade of a running system performed by the customer won't be supported by StackOps under the terms of the existing contract.
Yes, we recommend not to allow your automated provisioning systems to be up and running during the installation process. Please halt them while the installation process is in progress. It won't take more than a couple of minutes.
If you want to upgrade the distro, we recommend to follow these steps:
- Download the latest version of the distro. Please download ONLY the versions recommended by the Support Team of StackOps. The Support Team of StackOps will give you a valid URL to download it.
- The new distro should be copied to /tmp directory in the StackOps Head-Manager server.
- Check the MD5 signature of the ISO file before continuing.
- Check that the directory /mnt/stackopsiso exists and does not have any ISO file mounted.
- Mount the new ISO file under /mnt/stackopsiso
- Stop your automated provisioning system now
- Copy the content from /mnt/stackopsiso to /var/www/ubuntu
- Create a new test zone and run a smoke test to guarantee the process was successful.
- Restart your automated provisioning system now